If I had to save one book…

Okay. So you are washed up on a desert island. You have food and clothing but not much shelter. Amazingly, a crate of books has also washed ashore. The books are dry. The box contains many of your favourite books.

But, you need to light a fire to keep warm, to keep the giant polar bears away, to cheer yourself up through the long, long night. Unfortunately, there’s only so many books in the box.

Which book will you save to keep you company for the days ahead?

Tell me which book you will save from the fire.

Winners will be chosen at random. Prizes for boys and blokes.

9 thoughts on “If I had to save one book…

1. RED DOG by Louis De Bernieres.
    1. It’s as Aussie as…’Loaded Dog’ by Lawson, H;
    2. a laugh-out-loud read;
    3. and just a little bit sad…but uplifting of course.

PS Do you want a list of the books I’d use to light the fire 🙂

2. Yeah, light the fire, get it burning, and keep it fed with …

Hang on a minute, when I think about it, I read cereal boxes. I’m not in love with them but I do like to let my eyes wander at breakfast so I couldn’t burn those. Even the really crappy mass market fiction is good for a laugh sometimes. I’ve got a few dodgy self-published things in my box that I’ve kept to point out to my mates what bad writing looks like, some written by my old teachers. Mwa ha ha ha haaaaa!

I’ll be keeping The Turning by Tim Winton. It’s a collection of short works about his mythical WA town Angelus. It’s like a telescope on a balcony of life. There are hot chicks, druggos and the copper’s son with a rifle. It explores the world and leaves so many doors ajar. Kept me thinking and dreaming about it for months. Yep, that’s a keeper.

Scot Gardner
    http://www.scotgardner.com

Scot will be appearing at Drouin Public Library on October 11 from 7pm.

3. Pingback: Boys blokes books » Blog Archive » Some shocking news

4. Why not burn the box rather than the books?

If I had to choose one it would be Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett.
    Death becomes a mortal and finds that it is not such as easy thing to face up to err.. Death, Very funny and thought provoking as are all of Pratchett’s novels.

5. I would save the book called Where’s my share? by Valerie Greeley because it reminds me of home. I used to read it when I was younger. It is simple so that I can still read it when I am delirious from lack of food.

6. Pingback: Update — Boys blokes books